|Dedication March 22 Honors Father of Nevada Museums|
CARSON CITY, Nev. — A “For Sale” sign on the U.S. Mint building in Carson City gave birth to the Nevada State Museum when Clark Guild happened by on a walk one Sunday morning in 1939. The determined and devoted District Court judge, considered the father of Nevada State Museum, will be celebrated with the dedication of a bronze bust at the place it all began. Members of the Guild family and relatives in the Russell family will be honored at a public reception at 6 p.m. and a talk at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 22 at the Nevada State Museum, 600 N. Carson St., Carson City.
Guild was a native Nevadan who grew up in Dayton, worked the mines and railroads and was forced into a career change after a serious industrial accident. A law degree led him to become Lyon County district attorney and later a distinguished District Court judge. Later, the “For Sale” sign inspired Guild to campaign for a place to share Nevada treasures. With his direction, the state bought the mint for $5,000. The remodeled facility opened for Nevada Day in 1941 as the Nevada State Museum. Through his retirement, Guild championed the historical site until his death in 1971, building, growing, collecting and finding new supporters everywhere he went.
The Nevada State Museum is one of seven managed by the state Division of Museums and History, an agency of the Nevada Department of Tourism and Cultural Affairs.